Tuesday, July 3, 2012

City Streets Criterium#1


               July has come and the City Streets Criterium Series has begun, so being young and poor, I volunteered. This worked out great, not only did volunteering allow me race for free but I met a lot of cool folks and had a blast setting up the course. For the last few years the Fort Collins city streets department has been allowing the guys from Pro Velo and Yougroupride.com to build a criterium circuit on their property, pretty cool industrial vibe going on...I liked it. The track was short only about half a mile long but consists of several turns ending with a 180 that lead to the start/finish.

                After setting up the course I marshaled one of the turns for the kids races and then headed off to get warmed up for my race....wait, wait, wait. Let me back it up a bit. A few weeks ago I sold my Corsa and bought a Cannondale Caad9 and built it up with some 9 speed Dura Ace and let me say, I'm a big fan. Since building it up I have yet to race it and I was super stoked to finally try it out!

                I got a few good laps in on the track before the start of my race and worked out what lines I wanted to take through the turns and then rolled up to take a place on the line.  Apart from a new bike this was also the first race I’ve been in in Colorado where I had some friends to the field, at the line I had my friends Malcolm, Mikheil and Paul in the field, I ate a peanut butter cup and a roctane and then we were off.

                Right off the start Paul, Mikheil, I and one other rider were up front and after about three laps we had made a small gap and stayed off the front for about two more laps. After falling back into the main field I sat in towards the rear of the group battling the yo-yo effect and soon I was dropped off the back. Now in my right place dangling off the end of the main field I got into a small group with only two other riders, we worked together taking pulls and kept the tempo high but we never regained contact with the rest of the peloton. With about ten minutes remaining in the race the I was finally lapped, first by the two riders who had made an attack and were now off the front and shortly after by the main field. 

                As the countdown of 5 laps to go started, they began pulling the lapped riders off the course, this allowed me to catch up with Malcolm, who had been dropped pretty early on in the race as well as watch the two leaders duke it out for the final two laps. So, in the end I finished a lap behind but I feel that I was riding well; perhaps I just should not have tried to get in a break away from the very start. Anyway, I had a lot of fun and plan on doing the rest of the series so; keep post this month for more race reports from the City Streets Criterium series in Fort Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment